I. Vocabulary and Structure（60 points）
Directions: There are 60 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C, and D. You should decide on the best choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
1. The young __________ interested in pop music.
A. is B. have C. has D. are
2. My watch has been losing time for the past week. It probably needs _________.
A. repairing B. to repair C. repaired D. to be repairing
3. There’s a ________ in our office that when it’s somebody’s birthday, they bring in a cake for us all to share.
A. concern B. balance C. tradition D. relationship
4. George returned after the war, only _________ that his wife had left him.
A. to be told B. telling C. being told D. told
5. He smiled politely __________ Mary apologized for her drunken friends.
A. if B. as C. though D. unless
6. After Jack had sent some e-mails, he __________ working on his project.
A. had started B. has started C. started D. starts
7. —I don’t know about you, but I’m sick and tired of this weather.
—____________. I can’t stand all this rain.
A. I don’t care B. I hope so C. So am I D. It’s hard to say
8. A number of high buildings have arisen ___________ there was nothing a year ago but ruins.
A. when B. where C. before D. until
9. Be ____________—you can’t make me finish all this work in so little time.
A. reasonable B. confident C. creative D. grateful
10. The manager was concerned to hear that two of his trusted workers __________.
A. will leave B. are leaving C. have left D. were leaving
11. After completing and signing it, please return the form to us in the envelope __________.
A. providing B. provided C. having provided D. provide
12. What a beautiful house! Especially there are many _________.
A. furniture B. furnitures C. pieces of furniture D. pieces of furnitures
13. The red flower goes from one to __________ in the class while a game is going on.
A. the other B. others C. another D. other
14. They have learned about __________ in recent years.
A. several hundreds English words B. hundreds of English words
C. hundred of English words D. several hundred English word
15. Although Nancy is __________ girl, she knows what to do when anything unexpected occurs.
A. a eighteen-year-old B. an eighteen-years-old
C. a eighteen-years-old D. an eighteen-year-old
16. Your box is __________ mine, so I want to put some of my luggage into your box.
A. four times as big as B. four times as bigger as C. as four times big D. as big as four times
17. —Did the medicine make you feel better?
—No. The more medicine I take, __________ I feel.
A. worse B. the worse C. and the worse D. worst
18. —What will you buy for your boyfriend’s birthday?
—I want to buy a __________ wallet for him.
A. black leather small B. black small leather C. small leather black D. small black leather
19. When Lily came home at 5 p.m. yesterday, her mother __________ dinner in the kitchen.
A. cooked B. was cooking C. cooks D. has cooked
20. I was giving a talk to a large group of people, the same talk I __________ to half a dozen other groups before.
A. was giving B. am giving C. had given D. have given
21. Would you let __________ to the park with my classmate, Mum?
A. me go B. me going C. I go D. I going
22. Charles regretted __________ the TV set last year. The price has now come down.
A. buying B. to buy C. of D. from
23. __________ tomorrow’s lessons, Frank has no time to go out with his friends.
A. Not preparing B. Not having prepared C. Not to prepare D. Being not prepared
24. The young lady coming over to us __________ our English teacher; the way she walks tells us that!
A. must be B. can be C. would be D. could be
25. He didn’t pass the final examination. He __________ it earlier.
A. must have prepared for B. should prepare for
C. should have prepared for D. should be preparing for
26. Father will not __________ us to touch anything in his room when he is away.
A. have B. let C. agree D. allow
27. If no one __________ the phone at home, ring me at work.
A. answers B. returns C. replies D. receives
28. He was seriously injured in the accident and lost his consciousness. When he _________, he found himself in a hospital bed.
A. came off B. came up C. came in D. came to
29. Codes are a way of writing something in secret; __________, anyone who doesn’t know the code will not be able to understand it.
A. worse still B. in short C. that is D. on the other hand
30. I’ve ________ my umbrella in the office and I’ll have to fetch it.
A. forgot B. left C. remained D. lost
31. The doctor says a few days’ rest in a quiet place will ________ you a lot of good.
A. make B. do C. give D. get
32. His heart ________ fast when the teacher asked him a difficult question.
A. beat B. hit C. jumped D. ran
33. John was never particular _______ the food his wife served.
A. about B. of C. to D. for
34. Most children stay at home until they ________ school age.
A. get B. come C. reach D. arrive
35. Jack will ________ his nervousness once he’s before the camera.
A. get away B. get off C. get through D. get over
36. The examiner made us ________ our ID card in order be admitted to the test center.
A. showing B. showed C. to show D. show
37. When a pencil is partly in a glass of water, it looks as if it __________.
A. breaks B. has broken C. were broken D. had been broken
38. How much would you __________ for repairing my watch?
A. charge B. demand C. pay D. offer
39. I am looking __________ to visiting you next week.
A. on B. about C. forward D. along
40. We can’t __________ one to change the habits of a lifetime in a short time.
A. hope B. anticipate C. expect D. imagine
41. Bob Geldef and his friend did all that they could __________ the poor in Africa.
A. help B. helping C. to help D. be helped
42. It never __________ to Mr. Mike that sometimes he should listen to others.
A. happens B. thinks C. reminds D. occurs
43. Concentrating on her writing, Mary was not __________ of what had happened around the house.
A. sensitive B. aware C. thoughtful D. considerate
44. The old lady offered a $50 __________ to the kids who had helped to find her cat.
A. reward B. prize C. price D. praise
45. The opening ceremony of the exhibition began at 9:00 __________ we expected.
A. such as B. as for C. just as D. as if
46. __________ into a film, the book by a foreigner becomes popular among Chinese people.
A. Being made B. Making C. Having made D. Having been made
47. Sorry, I’m late. I was delayed by a traffic __________.
A. block B. trouble C. jam D. injury
48. To __________ the temperature of the new machine, the researchers had to work for hours.
A. turn B. measure C. find D. investigate
49. The young manager was so __________ that he cancelled his business trip to New York.
A. disappointed B. lost C. missed D. interested
50. India is a big Asian country with a __________ population.
A. much B. rich C. broad D. large
51. You have to be very quick, __________ you’ll miss the last train.
A. but B. or C. and D. so
52. The number of the tourists to these small villages __________ growing.
A. to keep B. keeping C. keep D. keeps
53. After I have worked with Mr. Smith for a year, I realize __________ in computer technology.
A. how skillful he is B. how he is skillful
C. how is he skillful D. how skillful is he
54. It is well known that Tomas Edison __________ the electric lamp.
A. discovered B. found C. produced D. invented
55. I regret __________ you that we are unable to offer you employment.
A. informing B. having informed C. to inform D. to have informed
56. I like this kind of material; it __________ very soft.
A. is feeling B. felt C. is felt D. feels
57. The chairman suggested that she __________ a few minutes before the meeting began.
A. will arrive B. would arrive C. arrive D. may arrive
58. It was his way of singing __________ his voice that really impressed me.
A. rather than B. as for C. or rather D. more than
59. He was in hospital for six months. He felt as if he were __________ from the outside world.
A. cut out B. cut off C. cut up D. cut through
60. I usually like eggs and meat, but I don’t __________ eating them today.
A. feel like B. call on C. get along D. go out
1. D 2. A 3. C 4. A 5. B 6. C 7. C 8. B 9. A 10. D
11. B 12. C 13. C 14. B 15. D 16. A 17. B 18. D 19. B 20. C
2l. A 22. A 23. B 24. A 25. C 26. D 27. A 28. D 29. C 30. B
3l. B 32. A 33. A 34. C 35. D 36. D 37. C 38. A 39. C 40. C
4l. C 42. D 43. B 44. A 45. C 46. D 47. C 48. B 49. A 50. D
5l. B 52. D 53. A 54. D 55. C 56. D 57. C 58. A 59. B 60. A